November 10, 2010

Mr. Fisher in South Africa

This video has been around for ages but I never though to stick it up but its quiet impressive. Andrew Pollock and Steve Fisher out in Fluid Composite Element kayaks (http://www.fluidkayaks.com/wwkayaks/element.html) off the coast of south africa.






I dunno if this film ever came out? But the Composite Fluid Element looks like the shit, I'm not even sure if it is the composite version of the boats in this it might be the plastic boats and if it is they are flying and hold the face of the wave pretty well. They have a four fin set up and big rails.

Anyways back to more pressing issues, I'm in Australia now. I've come out here firstly to be with my girlfriend who has come out here to work for the year, secondly to escape the
recession / depression at home, I really try my best to be a light hearted and happy person at home, kinda modelling myself on the madness of people like Cora and Kev but found it near impossible with the doom and gloom. Thirdly I'm here to surf! Theres another reason..... oh yea get some architecture work experience but forget about that for a while! But it's not going to be in kayaks at least not for a while but on my board. I've been board surfing for a while at home but only really during the summer. I've never stood up on a wave anywhere near the size of anything I've been on in my kayak. But I feel to better understand surf I've got to work on my board surfing. Board surfing is racing away ahead of kayaking at home. Big wave surfing regularly makes the national news at home these days with a new big wave coming out in the news about one per year and probably making the RTE news several times a year. Thats the
cutting edge of surfing at home but whats the cutting edge of kayaking? Eoin Rheinisch at the olympics in 2008 was probably the last time a kayaker was on the news except for random paddlers in flood news stories last year. Made me think Mick Reynolds should have made more of his running the top drop on mahon falls all them years ago.
























Thats it for now, if you any notions or ideas about any of this leave me a comment.

Mikef


No comments:

Post a Comment